Saturday, February 6, 2010

Karate Sparring

The instructor decided to have a sparring class today which was pretty cool. I had to sit out the last one because I was close to a kettlebell meet. I didn't compete at the meet, but that is another story.

Get in, do your thing, get out. I need to learn to close a bigger gap quicker. Try using California blitz.

I worked on incorporating some black belt kicks. The alternate round kick is something that I will be able to use effectively. It allows me to land in an upright stance facing my opponent. The switch round causes me to land with my back turned.

Another point is that sparring sometimes becomes I take my turn then you take your turn then I take my turn etc etc. While this maybe polite, it also very predictable. One needs to attack while the other person is recovering and at other unexpected times. Essentially, vary the timing.

No comments:

Post a Comment